Continuing with their practice of providing frequent large updates to Windows 10, Microsoft released the ‘Windows 10 October 2018 Update’ for Windows 10 on October 2nd, 2018 and with this update there are many fixes and enhancements to the operating system. More details about the update and how to obtain it are available here -> https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/
Those who read our blog regularly will recall this has occurred before, most recently with the ‘Windows 10 April 2018 Update’ for Windows 10 on April 30th, 2018 (https://plugable.com/2018/04/30/windows-10-april-2018-update-plugable-docking-stations-usb-video-adapters/) and previously with the ‘Fall Creators Update’ for Windows 10 on October 17th, 2017 (https://plugable.com/2017/10/17/windows-10-fall-creators-update-with-plugable-docking-stations-and-usb-video-adapters/), ‘Creators’ update in April of 2017 (https://plugable.com/2017/04/06/windows-10-creators-update-plugable-docking-stations-and-usb-video-adapters/) and the ‘Anniversary Update’ in August of 2016 (https://plugable.com/2016/08/01/windows-10-anniversary-update-and-plugable-docking-stations-and-usb-video-adapters/)
As it pertains to Plugable’s USB video adapters and USB docking station’s based DisplayLink technology, our products should continue to ‘just work’ after the update has applied but as with any major update there is always possibility for problems. If after the update having been applied things are not working as expected, the best practice is as follows:
1. Disconnect your USB video adapter or USB docking station (if using a docking station please also disconnect the power adapter) from your system and keep it disconnected until the last step.
2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner from here
4. Reboot the system, even if not prompted
5. Download and install the latest DisplayLink driver from here
6. Reconnect your docking station (after reconnecting the power) or USB video adapter and your displays should become active
One important note, after installing the October 2018 Update, there is a possibility that you will see an item in the Notification area stating that “DisplayLink Graphics Driver is no longer available – This app was removed from your PC because it doesn’t work on this version of Windows.” (example below). If your Plugable product is still working properly, this notification can be safely dismissed. If not working, please follow the procedure above.
In summation, while in most cases things should ‘just work’ as with any major update to an operating system things may not go as expected. If any of our customers apply the update and the above instructions do not help, please contact us directly at email@example.com and we will be happy to assist.