Continuing with their practice of providing frequent large updates to Windows 10, Microsoft released the ‘Windows 10 October 2020 Update’ for Windows 10 on October 20th, 2020 and with this update there are many fixes and enhancements to the operating system.
More details about the update are available here –> https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/10/20/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-october-2020-update/ and Microsoft has more information on how to obtain it here -> https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/10/20/how-to-get-the-windows-10-october-2020-update/
Those who read our blog regularly will recall this has occurred before, most recently with the ‘Windows 10 May 2020 Update’ for Windows 10 on May 27th, 2020 (https://plugable.com/2020/05/28/windows-10-may-2020-update-with-plugable-docking-stations-and-usb-video-adapters/)
As it pertains to Plugable’s USB video adapters and USB docking station’s based DisplayLink technology, our products should continue to ‘just work’ after the update has applied but as with any major update there is always the possibility for problems. If after the update having been applied things are not working as expected, the best practice is as follows:
1. Disconnect your USB video adapter or USB docking station (if using a docking station please also disconnect the power adapter) from your system and keep it disconnected until the last step.
2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner from here
4. Reboot the system, even if not prompted
5. Download and install the latest DisplayLink driver from here
6. Reconnect your docking station (after reconnecting the power) or USB video adapter and your displays should become active
In summation, while in most cases things should ‘just work’ as with any major update to an operating system things may not go as expected. If any of our customers apply the update and the above instructions do not help, please contact us directly at email@example.com with the output from our PlugDebug utility –> https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug/ and we will be happy to assist.