Generally speaking, Android USB support limited to 4.x.x only- earlier versions may have some basic functions like accessing a USB mass storage device. On Android 4.x.x USB storage devices, hubs, keyboards, mice, active USB extensions, and limited support for USB Ethernet adapters is available only on some devices. Other devices of the same Android version may not have the same features.
Since Android does not provide a mechanism for users to install drivers, and individual device makers control which specific drivers are loaded on their devices, we cannot predict whether specific Android devices will have support for a given product.
Android devices seem to be particularly sensitive to USB power issues: some users have reported that their tablets reset/rebooted during high power demand activities like large transfers over USB ethernet adapters. One potential solution to these issues is to use a powered USB hub so attached devices don’t have to rely on the Android device’s available USB bus power, but can instead draw power from the hub’s power supply. As a first troubleshooting step in diagnosing issues on Android devices, we recommend connecting via a powered USB hub to eliminate low power issues resulting from inconsistent power availability observed on some Android devices.
Below are Plugable devices which may be compatible with Android 4.x, varying by device:
- Nexus 7 First Gen (2012) Upgrade to Andriod 5.0 (Lollipop) Breaks USB-Ethernet Support
Update: The latest Android version update for the Nexus 7 first gen (2012), version 5.1.1, has resolved this issue. If this version is not yet available over-the-air (OTA) for your tablet, you can download and install it manually from Google’s factory image website here. Use the “nakasi” image for regular WiFi devices, and “nagasig” ...
- Plugable USB Audio Adapter
- Two 3.5mm premium audio input and output ports
- C-Media HS 100B Chip for widest compatibility
- Transform your existing 3.5 mm stereo headphones, headset, speakers, or microphone into a USB device
- Leave connected to a USB hub or dock for easy access
- Bypass a faulty sound card ...
- Plugable USB 2.0 MicroSD Card Reader for Phone, Laptop, and Tablet
Plugable’s USB2-OTGTF enables using a single MicroSD card on devices with both full-size USB and micro USB connectors. This allows users to swap a single storage device between a wide array of devices like most popular Android phones and tablets– even those lacking MicroSD slots like– as well as traditional notebook ...
- Plugable USB 2.0 10-Port Hub with 20W Power Adapter
Watch the Product Video
- Flexible design with 6 front ports and 4 rear- including two BC 1.2 Standard compliant flip-up charging ports
- USB 2.0 high-speed interface, 10 downstream ports with data rates up to 480Mbps
- 20W Power Adapter shared by the 10 ports, assumes a mix of high and low power devices
- Easy plug-and-play installation (no driver required); works ...
- Prolific launches Android SDK for USB Serial Devices
Prolific has just announced the release of their USB serial adapter SDK for Android. We’ve just completed quick testing on an Android 4.1 tablet (Asus Transformer TF300) of the recently released Prolific USB Serial “QuickTest” App, using our Plugable USB Serial Adapter (which uses the Prolific PL2303HXD chipset). More details on the SDK ...
- Plugable Storage System USB 3.0 Dual 2.5″ SATA Drive Dock
Insert 2.5″ SATA hard disk or solid state drives into the interchangeable Plugable Storage System docks and connect with any USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 Computer, or use the standalone disk cloning function of the PSS-DD1. Supports connecting via SuperSpeed USB 3.0 — up to 10x as fast as USB 2.0. Each unit is ...
- Plugable Storage System USB 3.0 2.5″ SATA Drive Dock with 3-Port USB Charger
Insert 2.5″ SATA hard disk or solid state drives into the interchangeable Plugable Storage System docks and connect with any PC with USB 3.0 or USB 2.0, or charge USB devices. Supports connecting via SuperSpeed USB 3.0 — up to 10x as fast as USB 2.0. Each unit is backward compatible with USB 2.0/1.1, ...
- Plugable Storage System USB 3.0 2.5″ SATA Drive Dock with USB 3.0 3-Port Hub
Insert 2.5″ SATA hard drive or solid state drives into the interchangeable Plugable Storage System docks and connect with any USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 Computer. Supports connecting via SuperSpeed USB 3.0 — up to 10x as fast as USB 2.0. Each unit is backward compatible with USB 2.0/1.1, and includes a protective case ...
- Plugable USB 3.0 Aluminium 6-Slot Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 media card reader offers drastically improved connection speeds compared to older USB 2.0 card readers. Attractive, durable brushed aluminum finish supports most common media card types: CF, SD, SDXC, SDHC, MicroSD, XD, MemoryStick, MMC, M2. Flashing activity LED indicates file transfer in process. USB Bus Powered: no external AC power supply required.
- Plugable USB 3.0 SATA Lay Flat Hard Drive Dock
Universal hard disk or solid state drive docking station supports latest UASP high speed transfer protocol and large “Advanced Format” drives. Minimize time spent waiting for backups and in data recovery scenarios with USB 3.0 SuperSpeed connection to PC- also backwards compatible with USB 2.0 systems. Supports both 2.5″ and 3.5″ drives.
- Plugable USB 3.0 SATA Lay Flat Hard Drive Dock