Plugable Storage System USB 3.0 2.5″ SATA Drive Dock with 3-Port USB Charger
How To: Setting up a New Hard Drive or SSD in Your Plugable Docking Station
How To: Recovering Existing Hard Drive or SSD Data in Your Plugable Docking Station
- The Plugable Storage System is a unique integrated component set that allows 2.5" drives to be conveniently enclosed and used interchangeably between all three of the Plugable Storage System docking station variants. Drives are housed in protective cases for safe storage and easy transport.
- Variations of the "PSS" include the PSS-SDC1 (*you are currently viewing this product*), a single SATA dock and dedicated 3-port USB charger. The PSS-DD1 is a dual drive SATA dock with standalone drive clone duplication. The PSS-SDH1 is a single drive SATA dock and 3-port USB 3.0 hub combination. Extra drive cases are also sold separately (PSS-CASE2) to allow an unlimited number of drives to be shared and safely transported between locations.
- Supports all 2.5 inch (up to 9mm thick, 12mm without PSS case) SATA I, II, and III hard drives, solid state drives, and hybrid drives up to any capacity (6TB+). Integrated dedicated 3-port USB charging station charges nearly all USB devices without a computer attached.
- Docking station connects via USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 5Gbps (640MBps), up to 10x as fast as USB 2.0. Take advantage of fast Serial ATA III drives and USB 3.0 bandwidth for fast storage backups. Comes with protective, hot-swappable, case for hard drives and includes optional rubber cover to protect SATA pins, while in transit.
- UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) support for even faster drive data transfer performance. (UASP functionality requires UASP capable host controller and operating system.) Includes robust 30W 12V 2.5A AC power adapter. Dock will work connected to any USB port. AC adapter required for operation. (US AC Wall Outlet Plug, 100-240V 50/60Hz)
- Setting up a New Hard Drive or SSD in Your Plugable Docking Station
- Recovering Existing Hard Drive or SSD Data in Your Plugable Docking Station
- Plugable Tech Tips: How to Partition and Format a New Hard Drive (or SSD)
- Device Charging Rates
- Using the Plugable Storage System
- Plugable Storage System USB 3.0 2.5″ SATA Drive Dock with 3-Port USB Charger
- A better way to store all that data
USB ChargingBattery charging over USB has become a standard practice but the actual charging behavior of different devices is often unpredictable and sometimes disappointing. The devices themselves decide how much current to draw and manufacturers haven’t settled on a single standard. We constantly test our products with as many different devices as possible and publish the results so it’s easy to determine the charging behavior to expect from your device on each of our USB products. These are the results for the devices we’ve tested on this charger so far.
For hubs, "Hosted" means the hub is attached to a host computer that is powered on. "Unhosted" means just the opposite, that the hub isn't attached to a host computer, or that the host computer is turned off. This doesn't apply to stand-alone chargers that only plug in to a wall outlet.
The "Estimated Charging Time" column is the minimum amount of time that the device would take to charge if it was fully drained. This is just an estimate! We provided this to give a general idea of the expected charge time. If this column is blank for a device, that means that the device indicated that it wasn't charging. In this case, even if the device is drawing power, it will likely either "tread water" keeping the battery at a constant level, or slowly lose ground.
What is the Plugable Storage System?
The Plugable Storage System is a new line of interchangeable USB Hard Drive docks that feature an integrated USB 3.0 hub, dedicated charging ports or a standalone hard drive clone function. Each dock comes with cases that protect the drive while in use or in storage.
Which devices will it charge?
The PSS-SDC1 is designed to charge all of today’s most popular devices at an accelerated rate. The iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Nexus 7 and most other devices charge much quicker from these dedicated charging ports than when connected to a computer or a standard USB hub.
Will I also be able to sync my device while it charges?
The ports on the PSS-SDC1 are dedicated charging ports only and do not have data functionality. Devices charge at an accelerated rate, but do not sync.
There’s no disk in the package – do I need to install any software?
There is no software to install. For both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, the Plugable PSS-SDC1 uses the standard USB Mass Storage class drivers provided by Windows XP and later, and all recent versions of Mac and Linux.
What’s in the package?
The PSS-SDC1 comes with the 3 Port USB charging Hub and SATA dock unit, a USB 3.0 cable, one protective hard drive case, 110/220V AC power supply and User Manual.
Does the power supply switch for different regions or is it tied to US voltage and frequency?
The switching power adapter with our Plugable Storage System USB 3.0 2.5″ SATA Drive Dock Plus 3x 1A USB Charging Ports does indeed support international standard inputs of 100-240V ~ 50/60 Hz 0.8A. Output is 12V/2.5A and comes with a US standard plug. You will not need a power converter as long as the input is within the given ranges. You might need a plug adapter for different regions which is not included.
Will thicker/taller high-capacity 2.5 inch drives fit?
Drives up to a standard 10mm thickness will fit in the PSS protective case: thicker 15mm drives will fit in the PSS unit, however NOT in the PSS protective case.