The Plugable Windows Transfer Cable transfers files between computers using the Bravura Easy Computer Sync software. Your purchase of the cable includes a full license to this software, which manages the connection and transfer process and includes all needed drivers.
Easy Computer Sync works with Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. It must be installed on both systems that will be connected by the Plugable USB Windows Transfer Cable. The same license can be used on both systems. You can learn more about the features of Bravura Easy Computer Sync on the Bravura website.
There are two common scenarios for using the Windows Transfer Cable.
- Upgrading to a new computer
- Transferring files back and forth between two computers on an ongoing basis (synchronizing)
The Bravura Easy Sync software is used for both scenarios. Instructions for each scenario are given below after the install instructions.
The first step is to download Easy Computer Sync. The download also includes and installs the most recent Microsoft-provided drivers for the Windows Transfer Cable.
After clicking the link above, you will typically see a dialog box like this:
Click Run. The Easy Computer Sync installer will download to your computer. After the download finishes, you will see another dialog box like this:
Again, click on Run to run the Easy Computer Sync installer. Now the installer will appear.
Typically, in each page of the installer, you should accept the default options and click Next, or the option similar to it. This installs the Easy Computer Sync on your computer, and starts it after the installer finishes.
During installation, you will be prompted for a product key for the Bravura software. We send an email with the product key and the download location for the software to each person who purchases the cable. If this email is not available, please email us at email@example.com. Write “Bravura Easy Computer Sync Key” and your Amazon order number in the subject line, and we’ll be happy to resend your product key.
Starting Easy Computer Sync
Once installed, there are three ways to start the Easy Computer Sync software:
- Double-click its icon on your desktop.
- In Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, click on Start Menu > All Programs > Easy Computer Sync, and select “Easy Computer Sync,” or in the Windows 8 and 8.1 Start menu, just type “Easy Computer Sync,” and click on it in the search results.
- Plug the Windows Transfer Cable into a USB port on your computer and select it from Autoplay menu that appears:
Upgrading to a New Computer
1. Follow the instructions above to install the software on both the old computer and the new computer.
2. Plug the cable into a USB port on both computers. You may be prompted to start another program called Windows Easy Transfer in a window like the one below. Do not start Windows Easy Transfer. Instead, start the Easy Computer Sync software you just installed.
If you don’t see this window when you plug in the cable, start Easy Computer Sync according to the instructions above.
If a window asks you to allow the program to make changes to your computer, click Yes.
3. Click Next on both computers until you reach a window that says “Waiting for connection.” When both computers are ready, this will change to “Connection Detected” and a new window will be displayed asking you to Select folders to synchronize.
4. On the old computer, select the folders with information you wish to transfer to your new computer. You do not need to select anything on the new computer. Only the most commonly used folders are included by default. You can add more folders by clicking the Add Folder button.
5. On the same window, click Options. For Transfer Files select Only to other computer. For If there is a conflict, select Make Copies. Click OK. The display will return to the previous window.
Transferring files back and forth between two computers
You can also use the instructions above to synchronize folders between two computers by selecting appropriate options in the Select folders to synchronize window. If you want to synchronize folders that are not on the list of folders, select Add Folders. To show all non-hidden folders on the computer, select Show Protected Folders.
You can also access a drag-and-drop Windows Explorer-style interface by selecting Drag & Drop Files. The window shown below will be displayed, where you can select and transfer files.
Linux and Linux-derived systems
This adapter is supported with an open source driver on Linux kernels 3.0+ as a fast USB network device, but only between Linux machines and without any special synchronization functionality.
See plugable.com/products/usb-easy-tran for details about Linux and other uses.