Plugable USB 3.1 Gen 2 Tool-free NVMe Enclosure
Reach peak performance with the power of the Plugable USBC-NVME USB 3.1 Gen 2 NVMe SSD Enclosure. With a sleek and slim, tool-free design, the USBC-NVME is the first of its kind. Enjoy top of the line heat dissipation maximized by the rugged aluminum case and conveniently connect with compatible USB Type-A and Type-C hosts.
Our USBC-NVME Enclosure’s innovative tool-free design allows the quick installation of an M.2 NVMe SSD in just a couple of seconds. Simply remove the aluminum cover using the locking latch at the back of the enclosure, then insert the SSD and secure with the rubber SSD lock and reinstall the cover. The rubber SSD lock can be moved to support multiple M.2 NVMe SSD lengths including: 2280, 2260, 2242, 2230.
Capable of read and write speeds of over 900 MBps, depending on the SSD used, and when connected to a Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. Over 200% faster write speeds and over 40% faster read speeds than leading SATA SSD external enclosures and USB 3.0 flash drives, making long wait times a thing of the past.
- This product is an enclosure only. Compatible SSD storage must be purchased separately.
- Compatible with NVMe M.2 SSDs
- Not compatible with M.2 SATA SSDs, M.2 PCIe AHCI SSDs, or other M.2 non-NVMe devices
- M.2 NVMe SSDs with B-key and M-key cutouts are 2x PCIe Lane devices and will work in this enclosure but may have significantly reduced performance compared to 4x PCIe Lane NVMe SSDs
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 is required for 10Gb/s connection speed (actual drive speed may vary due to media and file system overhead, and potentially thermal throttling for some SSDs)
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.0 maximum connection speed 5Gb/s
- USB Type-A, USB Type-C, and Thunderbolt 3 compatible
- Operating system compatibility: Windows, macOS, and Linux. File systems may be operating system specific.
In The Box
USBC-NVME Enclosure with one USB-C to C cable, one USB-C to 3.0 cable, 3 replacement SSD rubber locks, and optional adhesive thermal pads. SSD media is *not* included.
Performance and Methodology
|SSD Manufacturer||SSD Model Number||SSD Capacity||Sequential Read (MB/s)||Sequential Write (MB/s)|
Compatible NVMe SSDs available from Amazon
Heat Dissipation and Thermal Throttling
NVMe SSDs generate a great deal of heat, the Plugable NVMe to USB-C Toolless Adapter includes ports for airflow on either side of the SSD as well as extruded aluminum fins for heat dissipation. Even with these features some SSDs may still enter a reduced performance state as they heat up, especially when under heavy load, this is most common with older NVMe SSDs with less efficient flash storage. To help maintain performance we recommend allowing for plenty of airflow around the enclosure. Please be careful when handling the USBC-NVME after extended use, the aluminum cover may be quite warm to the touch.
NVMe SSD Installation Instructions
- Optional: Locate the thermal pads included with the USBC-NVME, remove backing to expose adhesive, and affix to the controller chip and flash memory module(s) on your NVMe SSD
- Use the slide lock to remove the aluminum casing
- Gently align the SSD notch into the socket at a 30 degree angle from the circuit board. Press the SSD edge connector into the socket. Using excessive force may damage the SSD or casing
- Tilt the rubber peg away from the SSD. Then press down on the SSD. Release the rubber peg to secure the SSD into the notch
- With the SSD securely in place, slide the aluminum cover back into place
- Connect to the computer using either the USB-A to USB-C or USB-C to USB-C cables provided
- Plugable’s Newest Mechanical Keyboards — Now with Quieter Red Linear Switches for Gaming and Office Use
- Transform your Samsung Galaxy Phone to a Desktop PC with Plugable’s First USB-C Phone Docking Station
- Windows 10 May 2019 Update with DisplayLink Docking Stations and Video Adapters
- Plugable’s newest Thunderbolt™ 3 Cable Offers More Length & More Power
- Introducing Plugable’s Smallest USB-C Docking Station — The Cube
- Thunderbolt application not in use anymore error on Windows? Check your driver types and versions
- New Intel Graphics Command Center able to configure DisplayLink Displays
- Get a Tactical Edge with the Plugable Performance Onyx Gaming Headset
- Now available in Europe and the U.K: Plugable’s USB 3.0 Horizontal Dual 4K Display Docking Station
- Thunderbolt 3 Error Message: How to Fix This