- Connect a Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C system which utilizes “DisplayPort Alternate Mode” functionality to an HDMI compatible display using a single cable
- Cable utilizes USB-C and HDMI 2.0 bandwidth to enable resolutions up to 3840×2160@60Hz (4K@60)
- Compatible with Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows on supported systems
- Cable is fully Plug and Play; no special driver installation or additional power source required (though please note that system will require functional graphics drivers and USB drivers for Alt Mode to function properly)
- Overall length: 6ft/1.8m
The Plugable USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable enables HDMI displays to be connected to a computer via a USB-C port which supports “DisplayPort Alternate Mode” (Alt Mode) such as the 2017 iMac/iMac Pro, 2017 & 2018 MacBook/MacBook Pro, Dell XPS 13 (9350/9360/9370), XPS 15 (9550/9560/9570), HP Spectre x360 13″ & 15″, Lenovo Yoga 900 & 910, ThinkPad P50 & P70, Microsoft Surface Book 2 and more upcoming laptops, tablets and desktops supporting USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode.
USB Type-C Alt Mode cables allow you to add an additional display output easily and inexpensively on supported systems. Since “DisplayPort Alternate Mode” is a direct pipeline to your graphics processor via special functionality introduced in USB 3.1, there is no performance penalty to using the adapter; the attached display should be just as responsive and functional as if it were connected to a video port directly attached to your system’s motherboard.
Compatible with host computers (PCs, Macs, Chromebooks, some tablets and phones) which support USB-C “DisplayPort Alternate Mode”, including many systems based on Intel “Alpine Ridge” and later chipsets.
4K at 60Hz Support Note: The host system must be able to support 3840×2160@60Hz and the connected monitor must comply with HDMI 2.0 standards in order to display 4K resolutions at a 60Hz refresh rate.
No driver is required on supported systems, as the extra display output is wired directly to the host’s main graphics processor and uses that existing driver.
Most current USB 3.1-enabled tablets and phones do not support “Alternate Mode” video output functionality. Please see additional compatibility information below.
Q: Sometimes when I plug the adapter into my Pixel, I do not get display output. Why is this, and is there a solution?
A: Currently, several USB-C devices (including Google’s own DP and HDMI adapters) do not detect upon connection 100% of the time. This is thought to be a firmware issue with the USB 3.1 “switching” chip in the Pixel (which is responsible for allowing a USB-C connectors to be reversible). Currently, the best solution is to try flipping the USB connector and reinserting the adapter.
Q: When I set my 4K display to a 60Hz refresh, my screen goes blank or I see digital “noise”. What could be causing this?
A: There are multiple things that could cause this behavior, most of which pertain to HDMI 2.0 requiring twice the bandwidth of HDMI 1.4, nearly 20Gbps.
- Ensure that your monitor and host system can support HDMI 2.0 and 4K@60Hz resolutions
- Many 4K displays have upgradable firmware. Updating the display firmware can often help HDMI 2.0 behavior
- Updating the graphics driver on the host system can often improve performance/stability at higher resolutions and refresh rates
Q: My system has multiple USB-C and/or Thunderbolt 3 ports. Can I add multiple Alt Mode adapters for multiple displays?
A: If your system supports multiple Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C Alt Mode outputs, then you will be able to use multiple adapters on one system. However, there are some Thunderbolt 3/USB-C Alt Mode systems that limit the video output to one port.
Q: Does your cable support audio to my monitor/TV?
A: Yes! Our adapter is able to support the transfer of video and audio over HDMI. Please ensure that the monitor has an HDMI port and built-in speakers by checking with the manufacturer. You may also need to set the specific display as the Default Playback Device within the Windows Sound settings in order to play audio over the connected display’s speakers.
6ft/1.8m USB-C to HDMI cable