Plugable USB 2.0 Windows Transfer Cable
- Enables transfer of your important documents, photos, videos, music, and other data of any size between two Windows PCs
- Faster than network and OneDrive transfers. Unlike USB drives, no limit on transfer size.
- Includes Bravura Easy Computer Sync software license ($19.95 value) with support for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
- Also supported by the “Windows Easy Transfer” cable feature that is built into Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8. This feature was removed in Windows 8.1 – use of included Bravura software on both PCs is required when either one of the PCs is running Windows 8.1 or later.
- Six foot cable. Standard USB 2.0 High Speed “Type A” on both ends. Prolific PL-25A1 chipset
- Can also be used in many Linux distributions to create a point-to-point network between two computers.
Transfer files between nearby Windows PCs with greater speed, plug-and-play ease, and point-to-point simplicity and security. The Plugable USB 2.0 Windows Transfer Cable connects easily and comes with software that will transfer your important documents, photos, videos, music, and other data to a new computer during an upgrade, or on an ongoing basis. The cable includes a full license to Bravura’s Easy Computer Sync software ($19.95 value), which also allows selective transfers between all supported PCs, featuring an easy to use drag-and-drop interface similar to Windows Explorer.
Software and Drivers
- Using Easy Computer Sync to Transfer Data to a Second Drive on Your New Computer
- Using Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer Software for Upgrading to a Windows 7 or 8 Computer
- Troubleshooting Windows Easy Transfer connection issues with the USB Windows Transfer Cable
- The Windows RT and Surface USB Device Compatibility Story
- Moving into your new Windows 8 PC
- Unleash the Easy Transfer Cable
- Windows 8 Consumer Preview Support
The included Bravura Easy Computer Sync software (download the latest version here) includes drivers for all Windows versions from XP to Windows 10.
When you purchase the Windows Transfer Cable, you will receive an email with a free license key for the Bravura Easy Computer Sync software ($19.95 retail value). This software must be run on both computers connected to the cable, and the same license will work for both of them.
The Bravura software is essential for transfers involving a Windows 8.1 and later computer, transfers to a computer other than a Windows 7 or 8 computer, or transfers from a 64-bit computer to a 32-bit computer. Transfers to a Windows 7 or 8 computer can also be accomplished using the Windows Easy Transfer software, which is a feature of those computers. However, we no longer recommend this. In Windows 8.1, Microsoft no longer supports using the transfer cable with Windows Easy Transfer, and this software has been completely removed from Windows 10.
The included Bravura Easy Computer Sync software supports transfers between any two Windows systems: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP, both 32 and 64-bit. The Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer software installed on Windows 8 and 7 computers is fully supported. Microsoft no longer supports using the cable with Windows Easy Transfer in Windows 8.1 and later.
Linux kernels 3.0 and later support the cable as a high-speed virtual network interface, but offer no special file transfer support. No support for Mac. Compatible with active and passive USB 2.0 extenders like the Plugable USB 2.0 10 meter extension cable (not included) for greater distances between PCs.
In the box
How long will it take to complete the transfer?
Transfer time varies with the speed of the old “source” system (and hard drive in particular). The amount of data to be transferred will also affect transfer times. In our tests we were able to transfer about 10Gb of data between a Windows XP machine and a Win 7 machine in approximately 10 minutes.
Should I install the software before plugging in the cable, or the other way around?
We recommend installing the transfer software first because it will copy the necessary driver files to your PC so they are ready to load when the cable is attached.
The Bravura Easy Computer Sync software is asking me for a license key. Where do I find my license key?
Your license key should have been emailed shortly after purchase to the address associated with the Amazon account that was used to place the order for the cable. If needed, simply email email@example.com with the Amazon Order ID number from the purchase of the cable and we’ll be glad to resend the email containing the key.
Is there a specific USB port that I should connect the cable to on either system?
In most cases, connecting to any available USB port will be fine. In situations where the transfer software cannot establish a connection between the two PCs, or is losing the connection mid-transfer, attaching the cable to a different port is a good troubleshooting step. On older PCs especially, we’ve found that trying the cable in another port (preferably on the rear of the computer) can help resolve various issues.
I’ve installed the Bravura Easy Computer Sync software on both systems, and instead of starting the transfer process both systems say “Waiting for Connection” indefinitely. What’s going on, and how can I get the connection to work?
Any of the following issues can result in the above behavior:
- Certain antivirus/firewall/security software can block the connection between the two PCs. When a connection cannot be established, temporarily disabling any such software on both systems is often the solution.The process of temporarily disabling this software is a bit different for each brand of security software, but a general outline of the process is as follows: The software should have a corresponding icon in the taskbar/notification area (down by the clock). Once the icon for the installed security software has been located, right-click it and look for an option along the lines of “Disable Firewall” or “Disable Protection”. If given the option of how long to disable protection, choose “Until System Restart” so that it doesn’t turn itself back on in the middle of the transfer.
- If there are multiple versions of transfer software open at once, they can interfere with each other. For example, sometimes Windows will automatically launch the “Windows Easy Transfer” software when a transfer cable is plugged in, even though the Bravura Easy Computer Sync software will be used for the transfer. Please to make sure that only one transfer program is open on each system.
- If the drivers for the transfer cable have not been successfully installed on either of the two PCs, a connection between them will not be established. Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 should install the drivers automatically. XP and Vista systems need a driver installed which is included with the Bravura transfer software. If there are any errors with driver installation when plugging in the cable, please write them down exactly as these error messages can be helpful while troubleshooting the issue via email.
Where to Buy