At Plugable, we strive to provide the most up-to-date information regarding the compatibility of our products with the latest devices. We are pleased to announce that we have obtained and tested the new 15" M2 MacBook Air laptop, which was released on June 13, 2023.
It's important to note that the 15" M2 MacBook Air, like previous base M1 or M2 MacBook models, supports only a single external monitor over its Thunderbolt/USB4 ports However, it’s possible to bypass this limitation by making use of USB graphics technologies present in many of our USB-C docks and graphics adapters.
Rest assured that we are committed to ensuring our products are compatible with the latest technologies. As we continue to test our products, we will keep our customers informed by updating this page.
Thunderbolt Docking Stations
- Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Dual Display Dock with 96W Host Charging (TBT3-UDZ): Compatible but with one external monitor due to the limit of the M2 processor.
Thunderbolt 3 Storage Devices
- Thunderbolt 3 1TB NVME Solid State Drive (TBT3-NVME1TB): Compatible
Thunderbolt 4 and USB4 Hubs
- Thunderbolt 4 and USB4 Hub with 60W Charging (TBT4-HUB3C): Compatible but with one external monitor due to the limit of the M2 processor.
USB-C Docking Stations
Multi-Display USB-C Docking Stations with PD Charging
Note: These multi-display docks use a combination of USB-C Alternate Mode (native “Alt Mode” video output) and DisplayLink technology (requiring a driver to be installed). Only the Alt Mode output counts towards the native display capabilities of the platform.
For additional information about DisplayLink and macOS, please see our post here.
- USB-C Triple 4K HDMI and DisplayPort Dock with 60W Charging (UD-6950PDZ): Compatible.
- Triple Display Dock with 1x HDMI, 2x DisplayPort, and 60W Charging – Vertical (UD-ULTC4K): Compatible.
- Quad HDMI Display Docking Station with 100W Charging (UD-3900C4): Compatible - Three external displays. If connecting four external displays in macOS two will be mirrored. (Note: the use of 3.5mm audio devices in some configurations was observed and required a restart on any M1/M2 Mac. This is under investigation)
- USB-C Triple HDMI Docking Station With 60W Charging (UD-3900PDZ): Compatible (Note: the use of 3.5mm audio devices in some configurations was observed and requires a restart on any M1/M2 Mac. This is under investigation)
Multi-Display USB-C Docking Stations without PD charging
- Dual 4K Display Horizontal Docking Station (UD-6950H): Compatible
- Dual Display Universal Docking Station (UD-3900): Compatible (Note: the use of 3.5mm audio devices in some configurations was observed and require a restart on any M1/M2 Mac. This is under investigation)
Single USB-C Docking Stations without PD charging
- USB-C Cube Docking Station (UD-CUBE): Compatible.
Single USB-C Docking Stations with PD Charging
- USB-C Phone Stand Docking Station (UDS-7IN1): Compatible.
- USB-C Mini Docking Station with 85W Charging (UD-CAM): Compatible
- USB-C 4K HDMI Docking Station with 60W Charging (UD-CA1A): Compatible
USB-C Hubs, Video Cables, and Dongles
USB-C Hubs with Pass-through Charging
- 11-in-1 Multi-function Hub with Ethernet (USBC-11IN1E): Compatible but only one extended display or two mirrored displays.
- 7-in-1 Multi-function Hub (USBC-7IN1) - Compatible
- USB-C Multiport HDMI Adapter (USBC-MD103): Compatible
- 5-in-1 USB C Hub Multiport Adapter for MacBook Air M2 (AMS-5IN1E): Compatible
Single-Display USB-C Dongles and Cables
- USB-C to HDMI Dongle (USBC-HDMI): Compatible
- USB-C to HDMI Cable (USBC-HDMI-CABLE): Compatible (Note: autodetect displays occasionally fail to connect from wake-from-sleep, currently under investigation)
- USB-C to DisplayPort Travel Adapter (USBC-TDP): Compatible
- USB-C to VGA Travel Adapter (USBC-TVGA): Compatible
- USB-C to VGA Cable (USBC-VGA-CABLE): Compatible
Wondering about compatibility with a Plugable product that isn’t listed here? Just leave a comment below and we’d be happy to help!
View Other Articles in Category