How To: Setting up a New Hard Drive or SSD in Your Plugable Docking Station
How To: Recovering Existing Hard Drive or SSD Data in Your Plugable Docking Station
- Stand alone duplication of 2.5″ hard drives
- Dual head SATA dock for connecting two 2.5″ SATA drive via one USB 3.0 cable
- Insert 2.5″ SATA hard drives (I, II, or III) and connect with any USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 Computer
- Supports connecting via SuperSpeed USB 3.0 — up to 10x as fast as USB 2.0
- Setting up a New Hard Drive or SSD in Your Plugable Docking Station
- Recovering Existing Hard Drive or SSD Data in Your Plugable Docking Station
- Plugable Tech Tips: How to Partition and Format a New Hard Drive (or SSD)
- Device Charging Rates
- Using the Plugable Storage System
- Plugable Storage System USB 3.0 2.5″ SATA Drive Dock with 3-Port USB Charger
- A better way to store all that data
What is the Plugable Storage System?
The Plugable Storage System is a new line of interchangeable USB Hard Drive docks that feature an integrated USB 3.0 hub, dedicated charging ports or a standalone hard drive clone function. Each dock comes with cases that protect the drive while in use or in storage.
How does the “Stand alone duplication of 2.5″ SATA drives” work?
The PSS-DD1 is able to clone any 2.5″ SATA drive by placing the source drive into slot one and placing a target drive of equal or larger size into slot two and starting the clone function. Activity lights will flash from red to blue to indicate that the duplication is in progress and will return to solid blue when complete. Stand-alone clone duplication speeds average about 40-60MBps and can reach up to 80MBps but will be highly dependent on the drives used.
Can a larger drive be cloned to a smaller capacity drive if the amount of used space is small enough to fit in the destination drive?
The Plugable Storage System copies sector-by-sector from source to destination, independent of the filesystem on the drive. As such, the cloning process requires that the destination drive have at least as many sectors as the source drive (i.e., the destination drive must be the same size or larger than the source disk).
There’s no disk in the package – do I need to install any software?
There is no software to install. For both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, the Plugable PSS-SDC1 uses the standard USB Mass Storage class drivers provided by Windows XP and later, and all recent versions of Mac and Linux.
What’s in the package?
The PSS-DD1 comes with the Dual head 2.5 SATA dock, a USB 3.0 cable, two protective hard drive cases, 110/220V AC power supply and User Manual.
Does the power supply switch for different regions or is it tied to US voltage and frequency?
The switching power adapter with our Plugable Storage System USB 3.0 Dual 2.5″ SATA Drive Dock does indeed support international standard inputs of 100-240V ~ 50/60 Hz 0.8A. Output is 12V/2.5A and comes with a US standard plug. You will not need a power converter as long as the input is within the given ranges. You might need a plug adapter for different regions which is not included.
Will thicker/taller high-capacity 2.5 inch drives fit?
Drives up to a standard 10mm thickness will fit in the PSS protective case: thicker 15mm drives will fit in the PSS unit, however NOT in the PSS protective case.